New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× I don't generally encourage speculation because... while you do it, I don't typically want to hear it. :) After all, you don't want me deciding your idea is better and stealing it for my next story. BUT... I know that some people enjoy speculating on what is really happening in the tunnels or who is hooking up with who on the faculty roster... so this is the place for all those wild hair brained ideas.

Younger siblings of Gen 1 characters appearing in Gen 2

More
01 Jan 2022 23:24 - 01 Jan 2022 23:31 #1071 by Schol-R-LEA
We've seen at least two characters who first appeared in as young children in gen 1 showing up again as gen 2 students, so far (Magique and Reinforce), but wouldn't there be at least a few others who would be the right age to attend Whateley who haven't appeared yet?

I am specifically wondering about Jeckel 's daughter (I thought she was named at some point, but apparently not), Becky Michaels , and Asha Harrow , each of whom would be about 15 or 16 if I understand correctly; Kimberley Morgan , who would be 17; and Joanne Gunnarson's younger siblings , most of whose ages we don't actually know. While there is no guarantee that any of them would manifest as mutants, it seems to be worth asking about.

(I was going to ask about Bart Harrow and Matt Chandler , as well, but I am pretty sure that they both would have graduated by 2016.)
Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 23:31 by Schol-R-LEA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2022 01:24 #1072 by ghoti
It might be good for continuity to have some of them featured and / or referenced, but there's a trap some stories get into where everything is special or relates to everything else.

I enjoy the shoutouts as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's best to leave stuff unresolved, unless you've got a good reason not to.

I'd like to know how David Goodkind fared, given that Trevor was the second Goodkind targeted after Missy, and that is still unresolved except for the teaser that he was next. Alternate targets might be Puppet's siblings, or any part of another family branch. Janet and Gracie might have kids, too, who would be old enough in gen 2 to go there.

Other than that, I'm wondering if Gizmatic might have another (clone) child to carry the imperial line. It always used to go "heir, then the spare", and given the friction to accept Jobe as current condition, it might have been something he'd do just in case.

More
02 Jan 2022 19:16 #1079 by Astrodragon
remember, just because some characters had siblings or children in G1, doesn't mean they will manifesta as mutants, or as mutants who need to go to Whateley

More
02 Jan 2022 21:23 #1083 by ghoti
Of course. I think it's a trap to try to make every character do this or that, or even come from this or that, for that matter. I'm perfectly OK with, say, the younger Chandler or even Declan never manifesting or being low-level not in need of Whateley (given how he acts in the Hank stories, if I were writing a story it would be tempting to make him low-powered but with enough noticeable GSD to ensure everyone knows he's a mutant - just for a little karmic justice if you will).

I think the OP, like a lot of us, might just want a reference here and there to "how is this character doing" or "what happened to him or her". Speaking as a former role-player and consumer of fiction, it's nice to have a character retire, which some authors may have trouble doing. You can bring him or her back in an advisory capacity, and you might even do a story or two with the character as an older individual, but their time in the spotlight is past. Likewise, for continuity sake or even just to satisfy a reader's sense of closure, you can especially pick a minor character everyone liked or hated, and give an update. For example, the shoutout to Aquerna doing a Squirrel Girl movie, in Gen 2. My personal wish is that Puppet got better, even if she's now a Drow living in Karedonia; even knowing she died tragically is preferable to not.

Siblings is a pretty broad topic, though. There are a lot more at Whateley than the characters upon whom the focus goes. Even those referenced but not overly fleshed-out could serve as older siblings if you wanted.

More
03 Jan 2022 21:12 #1091 by Mister D
A prime example is Morgana, as they were only sent to Whateley due to it's protections as well as the breadth of it's magical curriculum.

Morgana's relative studied in the UK as their mutation was milder and easily channel-able to directions that the UK was happy with.

It'll be the same with the other siblings that you mentioned.

More
03 Jan 2022 22:06 #1095 by ShadowedSin
None of my chars will be appearing in Gen2 since Sloane is only 2 years behind Graínne.

"It's never been a game to me. I'm after something bigger, and no one is gonna stop me."
-Catra

More
03 Jan 2022 23:24 #1096 by Astrodragon

A prime example is Morgana, as they were only sent to Whateley due to it's protections as well as the breadth of it's magical curriculum.

Morgana's relative studied in the UK as their mutation was milder and easily channel-able to directions that the UK was happy with.

It'll be the same with the other siblings that you mentioned.

Yes. The thing is, Whateley students are the outliers.

Non-dangerous powers, ones which are easily controlled? Not Whateley
Not hunted, disowned by family? Not Whateley

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds