New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Old Habits... by Domoviye

More
26 Dec 2023 01:00 #3174 by DanZilla
Old Habits... can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation.

Old Habits...
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2023 23:37 #3176 by gpoetx
Replied by gpoetx on topic Old Habits... by Domoviye
I am not here as often as I used to be, getting used to new writers can always be a challenge for me but I have liked certain stories, one in particular has been Mille/Jane. This one was no different. This was fantastic, felt a lot like the days of reading my favorite writers here. Look forward to see what is next.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

More
27 Dec 2023 00:23 #3177 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

I am not here as often as I used to be, getting used to new writers can always be a challenge for me but I have liked certain stories, one in particular has been Mille/Jane. This one was no different. This was fantastic, felt a lot like the days of reading my favorite writers here. Look forward to see what is next.

Thank you.
This was the perfect way to end a pretty good vacation and very long drive home.
The next Mille/Jane story will be a while. Need to catch up on others, but I actually have her Christmas all planned out. I think you'll like it.
Cheers and have a happy New Year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
27 Dec 2023 06:38 #3178 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Old Habits... by Domoviye
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Old Habits... comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, NeoMagus, Mister D

More
28 Dec 2023 07:45 #3179 by Mister D
Replied by Mister D on topic Old Habits... by Domoviye

The next Mille/Jane story will be a while. Need to catch up on others, but I actually have her Christmas all planned out. I think you'll like it.

Happy Solstice! :D

Chewy. :D

Very chewy. :D

Very narrative T'ai Chi. :D

There's all kinds of interplays in there.

The initial conversation with Arnold. :D

No clue at all as to who he was calling on behalf of. :D

The range of potential actors getting Arnold to do that, and the resulting ranges of where the story could go is excellent for the long-term world-building, with as little effort as possible. :D

As JustMe's cover story is that of an amnesiac, and while it could look like a sloppy cover story, but there's a similar flexibility of range of narratives that JustMe could use to extend their cover story.

The range of reactions from the campus groups, also acts as microcosms for the larger groups in WU that they represent. :D

Los of potential patterns to explore. :D

The wider ripples work well. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

More
28 Dec 2023 20:57 - 28 Dec 2023 21:25 #3180 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Thank you Dreamer.
This wasn't the Christmas story I had planned, but it was a story that needed to be told. So I'm really happy that you and so many others enjoyed it.
And as always, thank you very much for your commentary, I've read and reread it several times.
My response and comments are below.
Happy New Year!

Old Habits... comments
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 28 Dec 2023 21:25 by Dan Formerly Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
28 Dec 2023 21:00 #3181 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

Happy Solstice! :D

Chewy. :D

Very chewy. :D

Very narrative T'ai Chi. :D

There's all kinds of interplays in there.

The initial conversation with Arnold. :D

No clue at all as to who he was calling on behalf of. :D

The range of potential actors getting Arnold to do that, and the resulting ranges of where the story could go is excellent for the long-term world-building, with as little effort as possible. :D

As JustMe's cover story is that of an amnesiac, and while it could look like a sloppy cover story, but there's a similar flexibility of range of narratives that JustMe could use to extend their cover story.

The range of reactions from the campus groups, also acts as microcosms for the larger groups in WU that they represent. :D

Los of potential patterns to explore. :D

The wider ripples work well. :D

Huh. I've never had my writing compared to Tai Chi. I like it.
Thank you!
The future stories for Jane and those around her are not going to be earthshaking, but I hope I can meet your expectations. She is quickly entering the wider waters of Whateley, now that her peaceful little life as a wallflower has been shattered.

Thanks again, and have a happy new year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D

More
02 Jan 2024 07:45 #3186 by Mister D
Replied by Mister D on topic Old Habits... by Domoviye

Huh. I've never had my writing compared to Tai Chi. I like it.
Thank you!
The future stories for Jane and those around her are not going to be earthshaking, but I hope I can meet your expectations. She is quickly entering the wider waters of Whateley, now that her peaceful little life as a wallflower has been shattered.

Thanks again, and have a happy new year.

Happy Hogmanay! :D

It was after i started using T'ai Chi-based exercises to improve my musical technique, that i really realised how it could be applied.

I managed to boil down the bowing technique from playing fiddle to a simple set of exercises based on the interplay of Yin and Yang. More pressure here gave one effect, and less pressure gave the matching different effect. The dynamic interplay of forces gave me better understanding of how you could move air with bits of string. :D

Applying the same approach towards engineering analysis, gave me equivalent results, in terms of increased subtlety. Getting more desired results, with reduced side-effects/undesired-results, for the same amount of energy-input. :D

Talking about this with one colleague, who makes a partial living from playing poker, and he was able to describe playing poker using the same frame-of-reference. Instead of just using brute force to win the hands he chose to play, he was using similar techniques to Sticky Hands to get the other players to over-extend themselves.

The stories about Mrs. Potter and The Chessmaster fencing during Halloween by guiding the ranges of potential futures that could be possible, gives a different example of the same techniques. :D

The discussion about the Elemental Forms made by Dyffud in the Five Elements Dancing stories gives another range of useful examples. :D

Both the actions followed by Ferret during the conversation with Arnold, and when Ferret was clearing up the lab afterwards, can fit within the T'ai Chi frame of reference.

The care that he took in cleaning the lab, shows that while the opponent will be someone that Ferret doesn't know yet, Ferret, knowing that someone would have to fulfil the role of Incident Investigator, had already made efforts to reduce the range of possible futures where Ferret got caught. :D

Like i said, very very chewy :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds