New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

Writer's Block? Try this.

More
17 Apr 2022 19:32 #1617 by Warren
I've been talking about a good foundation for a story by "researching" your characters so you have the information at hand.  Even having that, sometimes you will hit a point of "What do I do now?" in writing.  It could be as simple as trying to come up with a start to a new scene. Even if you know what you're going to do in the scene, getting the first few lines down can stump you sometimes.  That's one of the things I like about the scrivener types of programs.  It allows you to step away from the lock-step of writing your story. I recently got sidetracked on what could be considered a back or side-story issue.  Just a detail of the universe I'm writing in.  It completely broke my train of thought for the main story.  I still have the plot. I also have no idea how to take that next step in the story after I worked out that side-story issue.

How to get back on track. I like a scene from Finding Forester referred to as "the key to writing." In it. Forester explains the key to writing is to write your first draft with your heart. The rewrite with your head.  The key to writing is to write. Not to think.

In that vein. I simply thought ahead to a scene that I knew was going to have to take place and I just started writing the dialog between the two characters there at the start.  Conversations are easy for me since I think about my stories as if I was watching a movie rather than reading a book.  So you get the back and forth.

In your case, you might be good at verbalizing the description of a scene. Such as the introduction to Hogwarts from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Describing the movement from the train to the carriages to the boats and the approach to the school with it's soaring towers and the occasional mythic beast.

Simply step away and write something. Grease the creative wheels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds