New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is open for non-Whateley topics. Please minimize political, religious, or other button topics. We won't punish anyone for making a comment, but we would prefer to avoid massive arguments and trolling is frowned on. There are plenty of other places to go for that... and it is not conducive to this community for us to put up with it. If a moderator / staff / canon author says stop, please do. If we have to ask you multiple times, we may ban you. The community / project is more important than any one person's 'free choice' chasing people away. Disagree? Think we treated you unfairly? Calm down. Come back and talk to us rationally. We aren't monsters. But the site isn't a democracy... and making people leave because you make it less fun to be here? Not acceptable.

Forums and whether we keep them going forward

More
28 Jan 2024 15:30 #3300 by DanZilla
As the subject implies, we've discussed the use of these forums and, given the amount of usage,  whether it's of a benefit to have them any longer.

The first thing I will say is... DON'T WORRY!

Comments on stories can still be left in the comments section attached to each story so feedback will not go away.

And secondly, Kristin spends a lot of time and effort keeping spammers out of these forums each month.

With Discord we can still handle the interactions, and Discord has threads which can help focus a discussion much like a forum topic, so we can still get the talk but in a way that more people have been preferring lately.

So, what do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2024 15:33 #3301 by null0trooper
Discord threads are still easily derailed by having videos, flashing gifs, memes, etc. dumped into them.

"Stepping Out": Story link .

Story Discussion

More
28 Jan 2024 15:38 #3302 by Astrodragon
FAR too easily. Can we ban
images and videos in a thread?

More
28 Jan 2024 15:46 #3303 by null0trooper

It would require more active moderation, probably causing more hurt feelings.

Also, how easily are Discord threads archived, and does the archive format lend itself to reading the content as anything other than disconected chat fragments?

Story Discussion

More
28 Jan 2024 16:14 #3306 by DanZilla

I think so... but I'm unsure how we could make it so that they could then post them in OTHER channels

More
28 Jan 2024 16:54 #3308 by DanZilla

Also, how easily are Discord threads archived, and does the archive format lend itself to reading the content as anything other than disconected chat fragments?

I've been looking into that and, while it looks like an easy thing, for some reason it's not being done/offered.

More
28 Jan 2024 21:40 #3315 by Sir Lee
I would worry more about the long-term viability of putting all or eggs, so to speak, on Discord. You know it is not profitable right now, right? There's always talks going on about it switching business models or being acquired outright...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
28 Jan 2024 21:42 #3316 by Dreamer
Also, one concern I have. Can the comments section on each story handle spoilers and quotes, plus posts the size I do for comments?

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
28 Jan 2024 21:56 #3317 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

Also, one concern I have. Can the comments section on each story handle spoilers and quotes, plus posts the size I do for comments?

I say Dreamer gets the final say as "Mistress of the Comments".

More
28 Jan 2024 21:57 #3318 by Astrodragon

I say Dreamer gets the final say as "Mistress of the Comments".

agreed

More
30 Jan 2024 03:47 #3327 by mhalpern
I like the forums, easier to find older conversations for instance, bad ideas thread and whatnot

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable

More
30 Jan 2024 05:28 - 30 Jan 2024 05:30 #3330 by Kristin Darken
A couple other considerations and why this is in discussion:

1. Server costs vs donation amounts - with lower site and forums usage, our donations are lower than they were when things were much more active. Donations currently only cover about 80% of the costs of the monthly fees. That doesn't include domain costs or any software extensions needed to provide the features that people want. Admittedly, part of the problem is that I haven't closed down the old whateleyacademy.net site yet... doing so would allow us to bring costs down some. But this also doesn't account for the fact that legally, I'm also responsible for paying income taxes on the donations... so we automatically lose 30% or so of the donations now that content creators are required to treat donations as taxable income... in our case, it isn't... but legally, there's no way to distinguish that. There are ways to separate that... by turning whateley into an LLC or something similar, but that also comes with costs and legal issues... all of which take time, which is something I rarely have enough of as it is.

2. Joomla (the software we are using for our content management) is a big beasty.. and while it was a good CMS to choose when I first started migrating us to it in 2015... it has moved into a very different class, now focusing on storefronts and news sites, big on graphics and having a controlling entity behind the scenes that doesn't allow easy contributing from the front end. It's also constantly updating. I delayed for a good while before moving us over to this version of the site, hoping that Joomla 4 would release before the old site crashed down around us... but we had to move before it came out, because some aspects of the site were failing. But what that means now... is that we're still on a Joomla 3 build and while security updates continued for a while, we are about to enter into the 'no longer supported' phase. Going to Joomla 4 requires upgrading the server to a newer version of PHP. Some of our extensions may become unsupported (meaning things like backups or paid extensions may cease to work). So... we're looking at migrating... and one of the aspects there is... do we want to move to WordPress or another move 'writing' based CMS?

With my access to the stats, I can assure you that the amount of posts... is very low for an 'active' forum. comments / feedback on stories is about the only real use it's getting. Is it worth the literally thousands (more than five, less than ten) fake registrations and spam posts I have to navigate every month just to manage a Joomla based forums attached to the site? A lot of that is because so many Joomla sites are used for stores... and that means account / financial data. We have none of that... but automated systems looking for data don't know that... so moving to WordPress makes sense. And are we losing all that much if we just have a well moderated comments section instead of a full on forums? I don't know. But it's a possibility that has enough weight to it that we've been discussing it... and evidently Dan likes it enough that he wants to know your opinions. :)

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2024 05:30 by Kristin Darken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
30 Jan 2024 17:01 #3339 by mhalpern
so long as we can have some threads that take on the roles of things like the Bad Ideas and other fun ones it could work, maybe have a discussion on discord for when we may want a new thread that isn't necessarily story related, most of us don't need permission to make new threads after all, just so long as it's easy enough to navigate and doesn't have character limits that would be too small for some of us it could work if it came down to it

More
30 Jan 2024 19:32 #3341 by null0trooper

... and doesn't have character limits that would be too small for some of us it could work if it came down to it

The character limits would be a problem for some discussions. Many of the Microscenes would end up as multiposts.

Story Discussion

More
30 Jan 2024 19:58 #3342 by mhalpern

... and doesn't have character limits that would be too small for some of us it could work if it came down to it

The character limits would be a problem for some discussions. Many of the Microscenes would end up as multiposts.

yeah that's my biggest concern

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds